Forum Home Forum Home > Rugby Competitions > Currie Cup
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lions next play Munster at Ellis Park in the URC on 27 April 2024, kickoff is at 17:00

Match 5 - Lions vs Griquas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Pasgebore Leeu
Pasgebore Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2021 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by valie valie wrote:

Originally posted by L13 L13 wrote:

It was difficult to watch. Poor decision making, poor execution and poor disciple. Don't blame rustiness, rustiness affects handing and timing not a complete lack of game plan. It is also easy to blame players and say they aren't good enough and so on...but how many of these players have pedigree (SA Schools, SA U20, Bok squads/training groups, super rugby experience)? We have seen it back in the mid to late 2000s, guys who were seen as not good enough moved union and suddenly were in the Bok mix. Player ability is not as big an issue as some think. Well drilled club and junior players will run a top team close.

Tactically we aren't good enough. The "pick and go" through 16 phases early in the game despite the blackline having a huge overlap highlighted this - not a single player had the game awareness to go - hey guys, this isn't working but look at the easy try through the hands out right. At no point did it look like there was any plan in that moment. This is coaching. Coaches not creating and developing game plans and structures, and not coaching/empowering players to understand what is going on and recognize opportunities. Game management can be coached.

Can we also stop kidding ourselves every time we sneak a win against the Bulls, Sharks or Stormers. These are lucky results. When was the last time we comfortably beat one of these teams? Not defended like trojans or grabbed a last minute score, I mean comfortable from the start to the end, out play them completely and the result was never in doubt. 

Cash must go! The sooner the better, put Sean Erasmus or the u21 coach, Mziwakhe Nkosi (both of them have coached many of these players at school or in the juniors) in charge for the rest of the Currie Cup. Then find a real coach (easier said than done right now). Cash and top management have screwed up the team culture that promoting from within is not an option - we need a fresh start.

Out of interest, I remember an email was sent to Rudolf Straeuli highlighting our concerns a few months ago - was there ever a response?

Nope. Nothing, but what was interesting is, after that email, almost the same team that lost against the Pumas went out and won against the WP against all odds, so I suppose there were some hard words spoken.

No reply is also very telling. A few years ago Rudolf and Kevin were very approachable and engaged with supporters.
valie View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2021 at 1:37pm

It was difficult to watch. Poor decision making, poor execution and poor disciple. Don't blame rustiness, rustiness affects handing and timing not a complete lack of game plan. It is also easy to blame players and say they aren't good enough and so on...but how many of these players have pedigree (SA Schools, SA U20, Bok squads/training groups, super rugby experience)? We have seen it back in the mid to late 2000s, guys who were seen as not good enough moved union and suddenly were in the Bok mix. Player ability is not as big an issue as some think. Well drilled club and junior players will run a top team close.

Tactically we aren't good enough. The "pick and go" through 16 phases early in the game despite the blackline having a huge overlap highlighted this - not a single player had the game awareness to go - hey guys, this isn't working but look at the easy try through the hands out right. At no point did it look like there was any plan in that moment. This is coaching. Coaches not creating and developing game plans and structures, and not coaching/empowering players to understand what is going on and recognize opportunities. Game management can be coached.

Can we also stop kidding ourselves every time we sneak a win against the Bulls, Sharks or Stormers. These are lucky results. When was the last time we comfortably beat one of these teams? Not defended like trojans or grabbed a last minute score, I mean comfortable from the start to the end, out play them completely and the result was never in doubt. 

Cash must go! The sooner the better, put Sean Erasmus or the u21 coach, Mziwakhe Nkosi (both of them have coached many of these players at school or in the juniors) in charge for the rest of the Currie Cup. Then find a real coach (easier said than done right now). Cash and top management have screwed up the team culture that promoting from within is not an option - we need a fresh start.

Out of interest, I remember an email was sent to Rudolf Straeuli highlighting our concerns a few months ago - was there ever a response?

Nope. Nothing, but what was interesting is, after that email, almost the same team that lost against the Pumas went out and won against the WP against all odds, so I suppose there were some hard words spoken.

No reply is also very telling. A few years ago Rudolf and Kevin were very approachable and engaged with supporters.
I must also state that I don't have any proof that he actually received my email, as I used a feature on the Lions Official website, where one can write a message to the different members of the management team. If that particular feature didn't /doesn't work, he wouldn't have received my message though.

Edited by valie - 22-Jul-2021 at 1:39pm
L13 View Drop Down
Pasgebore Leeu
Pasgebore Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2021 at 2:22pm

I must also state that I don't have any proof that he actually received my email, as I used a feature on the Lions Official website, where one can write a message to the different members of the management team. If that particular feature didn't /doesn't work, he wouldn't have received my message though.

Fair enough. Surely they've looked at the Lions official Facebook and Twitter and realized that supporters are fed up.... Primary shareholder, President and CEO should be getting ahead of this and coming out to address the concerns. If they plan to stick with Cash (last 2.5 years would suggest big mistake) then fine but come out and say: we are backing Cash and this is the action plan we are putting in place to turn it around. 

Oh a different note, I just saw a clip from the post match interview about player availability. Honestly seemed like Cash had no idea who was fit, wasn't fit or would be fit for the Bulls. Also didn't seem to know who Skosan was...so I guess Skosan is the new Dayimani.
Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2021 at 2:34pm
I also watched that clip of Cash. He looked very GATVOL. I hope he knows we are too!
emiel1 View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emiel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2021 at 2:38pm

Agree that cash is not delivering, but putting Erasmus (our defensive coach for the past three seasons) or Nkosi ( our backline coach for the past two seasons), the two areas where we are most lacking in coaching, certainly is not the answer.    
L13 View Drop Down
Pasgebore Leeu
Pasgebore Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2021 at 3:01pm
Agree that cash is not delivering, but putting Erasmus (our defensive coach for the past three seasons) or Nkosi ( our backline coach for the past two seasons), the two areas where we are most lacking in coaching, certainly is not the answer.    
[/QUOTE]

I meant till the end of the Currie Cup while we find a new coach from outside the Lions setup. Because lets be honest, halfway through the Currie Cup and we are last...it can't get worse.

Those 2 came to mind as possible caretaker coaches because Sean has a good rugby brain (you don't do what he did at Paarl Gim without being half decent) and he knows the younger guys either from school or from the u21s. Nkosi had a good team last season that played good rugby and looked like they enjoyed themselves. Yes, they had a bad final against the Bulls but they were also the only team to beat the Bulls in the round robin. Also quite a few of his team are now in the seniors.
emiel1 View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emiel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2021 at 3:18pm
If Erasmus or Nkosi were capable of guiding the team after the Currie Cup, then by all means, put them in charge. But their professional record shows they aren't even close to  being ready. They are a big part of the problem, and not the solution, not even on a temp basis.

Edited by emiel1 - 22-Jul-2021 at 3:19pm
True loin View Drop Down
Pasgebore Leeu
Pasgebore Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote True loin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2021 at 6:10pm
naand almal, weet iemand dalk iets van ross cronje, is hy beseer waarvan ek nie weet nie of is hy ook dalk oppad. Gewoonlik as spelers nie meer gekies word nie dan hoor hul na n ruk hul is oppad erens anders
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2021 at 9:13am
Ons laaste verloor teen Griekwas was in 2016, was in Kimberley. Dis ons eerste verloor teen Griekwas op Ellis Park sedert 2012
Goue Leeu View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goue Leeu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2021 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Transvaal Transvaal wrote:

Ons laaste verloor teen Griekwas was in 2016, was in Kimberley. Dis ons eerste verloor teen Griekwas op Ellis Park sedert 2012
2012 - Die jaar toe ons uitgeskop is uit Super Rugby!! Die Unie beter dinge baie vinnig regruk want die gevaartekens is oral.. Ons speel basies met ons vol span in die Curriebeker en word verneder deur die Pumas en Griekwas.. Totaal onaanvaarbaar.
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2021 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Leeubok Leeubok wrote:

Jaco Kriel is nou al maande lank amper reg om te speel Confused

Sukkel blykbaar nog met 'n kniebesering
Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2021 at 9:34am

Ja, het so gehoor op die clip van Van Rooyen.. Dis 'n groot jammerte. Ek dink spelers soos Jaco en WW kan 'n groot impak op n span he. Daar is niemand in ons span wat uitstaan as 'n gebore leier en lei van voor nie
valie View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2021 at 12:00pm

Ja, het so gehoor op die clip van Van Rooyen.. Dis 'n groot jammerte. Ek dink spelers soos Jaco en WW kan 'n groot impak op n span he. Daar is niemand in ons span wat uitstaan as 'n gebore leier en lei van voor nie
Ek stem saam. Horne is nog baie onervare. Odendaal het nie sleg gedoen nie, maar Jaco of WW sal ons span baie lig.
Red_Machine View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red_Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2021 at 12:50am

I love JK, but why do we waste money on players that are unable to take the field or can't play more than 1 game in a season???? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic