Forum Home Forum Home > Rugby Competitions > Currie Cup
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lions next play Cardiff at Ellis Park in the URC on 11 May 2024, kickoff is at 18:15

Kolisi parts ways with WP Rugby

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kolisi parts ways with WP Rugby
    Posted: 14-Feb-2021 at 9:13am

Siya Kolisi is set to part ways with Western Province Rugby after an 11-year journey, which has spanned his entire professional rugby career to date.

Kolisi signed with Western Province Rugby straight out of school, learning his trade at the Western Province Rugby Institute and playing in the DHL Western Province U19 team in 2010, which also featured the likes of Frans Malherbe, Scarra Ntubeni, Eben Etzebeth, Nizaam Carr and Damian de Allende.

It did not take Kolisi long to make an impression in the senior team and he made his DHL Western Province debut in 2011, before going on to earn his first DHL Stormers cap in 2012.

Kolisi made a try-scoring debut for the DHL Stormers in the opening game of the 2012 campaign, coming on as an injury replacement for Schalk Burger.

He ends his time at Western Province Rugby as the second-most capped DHL Stormers player, with the legendary Burger (123) the only player to have topped his 118 Vodacom Super Rugby caps for the franchise.

Kolisi became a Springbok on his 22nd birthday in 2013, having impressed in his first two seasons as a DHL Stormers player.

In 2017 Kolisi was appointed DHL Stormers captain and led the team for two full Vodacom Super Rugby campaigns before he was appointed Springbok captain in 2018.

In 2018 Kolisi played his 100th match for the DHL Stormers and the following year became the third Springbok captain to lift the Webb Ellis Cup, when the Springboks beat England 32-12 in the Rugby World Cup Final in Yokohama.

In 2020 he set up the Kolisi Foundation and, along with many of his DHL Stormers teammates, played a major role in providing relief for vulnerable communities during the COVID-19 pandemic and resulting lockdown.

Kolisi's current contract was set to come to an end in October 2021 and although the union did everything possible to re-sign him, he chose not to take it up and has been released early from his contract, upon acceptance of a transfer fee.

DHL Stormers Head Coach John Dobson wished Kolisi well and thanked him for his significant contributions over the years.

"Siya Kolisi will always be a DHL Stormers legend, his story is well-known throughout the world and everyone here is grateful to have played a role in that. We would have loved for him to stay and finish his career where it started, but we wish him all the best.

"We have always done our best to retain the world-class talent we have at the union before looking elsewhere and we are looking forward to announcing some significant contract extensions with some of our experienced players in the near future," he said.

Kolisi said that he will always cherish the memories of his time with Western Province Rugby.

"I would like to thank everyone at Western Province Rugby for what has been an incredible time in my life in which I have grown as a rugby player and a person.

"All of the coaches, management and teammates who had such a big influence on me over the last 11 years and especially the DHL Stormers Faithful and people of Cape Town and beyond who made my time with the union so special. It has been a privilege to experience their support," he said.

WitBoer View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitBoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2021 at 5:25pm
Dit is nou jammer... Hy het die WP span bietjie swakker gemaak...
"Believe nothing, No matter where you read it, Or who has said it, Not even if I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own common sense" - Buddha
monster View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2021 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by WitBoer WitBoer wrote:

SmileSmileStem100% saam
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2021 at 5:52pm
Net jammer hy maak die bok span ook bietjie swakker
valie View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2021 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by WitBoer WitBoer wrote:

LOLLOLLOL
TunaLion View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TunaLion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2021 at 10:09pm
LOLLOLLOLClap
Go LIONS!!!!!
Goue Leeu View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goue Leeu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2021 at 8:57am
Sy vrou gaan seker die hele trek na Durban oomblik vir oomblik dokumenteer. Sy is mos 'n voltydse tweeter. Siya is nou al so vasgevang in die celeb leefstyl hy het skoon vergeet dat hy eintlik 'n rugby-speler is.
gertjie0000 View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertjie0000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2021 at 2:24pm
Wat praat jy goue leeu hulle gaan seker hulle eie show begin so met die trek tot in Durban. "Durban hear comes the Kolisi's" LOL
Goue Leeu View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goue Leeu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2021 at 6:53pm
LOLLOL
Originally posted by gertjie0000 gertjie0000 wrote:

Wat praat jy goue leeu hulle gaan seker hulle eie show begin so met die trek tot in Durban. "Durban hear comes the Kolisi's" LOL
Niela View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2021 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Goue Leeu Goue Leeu wrote:

LOLLOL

I don’t think we would have won the RWC if Siya wasn’t the captain 
monster View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2021 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Niela Niela wrote:

LOLLOL

LOLLOLLOLLOL
valie View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2021 at 9:10pm

LOLLOL

I beg to differ. Duane did most of the talking on the field anyway and Siya is an average player at best, with very little contribution in most games.
For me he was more of a seremonial captain than the real thing, kind of like a point Rassie wanted to prove.
L13 View Drop Down
Pasgebore Leeu
Pasgebore Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2021 at 6:31am
A little off topic but I have a question.

How can RocNation Agency be an owner of the Sharks and players' agent? 

Effectively they are the owner, representing the team at negotiations and the player at negotiations. Surely a massive conflicts of interest there and agents are meant to act in their client's best interests - but who's interests (Sharks or players)? I am sure Kolisi won't be the last RocNation player to join the Sharks. Better pray no Lions are signed to RocNation.

How can teams negotiate with a player when the player's agent is also a rival team owner... The agent will have an agenda (either move the player to their team or drive up their salary to an unsustainable level to either weaken the team financially or cause changeroom issues) and they will have access to confidential information that would be usual the another team - like player budgets, transfer targets, salaries and bonuses etc.
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2021 at 8:00am
Dis nie die enigste konflik in plaaslike rugby nie, wat van NotSoSuperSport wat aandele in van die spanne het?
Attie Karate View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Attie Karate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2021 at 12:41pm
Who cares?
Up the Vaal!
Red_Machine View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red_Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2021 at 1:54pm

LOLLOL

HILARIOUS 😂😂😂😂 he was only the public captain, everyone knows that Duane was the captain behind the scenes. Chasing the Sun confirmed that for me
Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2021 at 7:47am
Originally posted by Red_Machine Red_Machine wrote:

LOLLOL

HILARIOUS 😂😂😂😂 he was only the public captain, everyone knows that Duane was the captain behind the scenes. Chasing the Sun confirmed that for me

Ja nee kyk, daai was 'n goeie grappie ClapLOL

Ons het die WC gewen ten spyte van Kolisi in die span, nie danksy hom nie. Hy is net SA rugby se poster boy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic