Forum Home Forum Home > Rugby Competitions > Super Rugby
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lions next play the Ospreys in Swansea in the URC on 30 March 2024, kickoff is at 17:05

Swys: Lions are rebuilding? What rebuilding?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jong Leeu
Jong Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoLions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swys: Lions are rebuilding? What rebuilding?
    Posted: 15-Jan-2020 at 8:52am

The men from Ellis Park’s former mentor gives a surprisingly sunny verdict on their chances in Super Rugby this year.

Former head coach Swys de Bruin had this to say when approached on the prospects of the Lions’ Super Rugby campaign this year: “Rebuilding? What rebuilding?” De Bruin, who was succeeded by Cash van Rooyen ahead of the 2020 season, believes the team could benefit from the building blocks which were put in place last year. “I don’t think they are rebuilding any more this year. I think that already happened last year,” De Bruin said in the build-up to the Lions’ Superhero Sunday warm-up match against the Bulls this weekend.

https://citizen.co.za/sport/south-african-sport/sa-rugby-sport/super-rugby/2228441/swys-lions-are-rebuilding-what-rebuilding/

Paid content. I don't have access.

But in principle I agree with the sentiment. We blooded a number of youngsters last year already and it is more a case of developing them further this year, with the help of the senior players including the new recruits like Doc Jannie, Roelof and Willem (assuming he passes his fitness tests). And gradually feed in the rookies to blood them as well.

It will be interesting to see how Cash goes about it this year. Hopefully not doing massive team changes from game to game like Swys did. Cash has worked with these players for two Currie Cup seasons already and should know them well enough to have a good idea how he ranks them in his plans
Niela View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2020 at 11:14am
For me the art lies in the balance between keeping consistency , but also keeping everyone on their toes fighting for positions. 

if you chop and change every week, then combinations don''t settle and the team is a "unit", 

if you keep the same under performers week in and week out then you will probably end on the wrong side of the scoreboard more often than not. 

We can pick a very well balanced side with youth and experience. They need to step up and perform
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic