Forum Home Forum Home > Rugby Competitions > Super Rugby
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lions next play Cardiff at Ellis Park in the URC on 11 May 2024, kickoff is at 18:15

THE PERFECT LOOSE TRIO?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THE PERFECT LOOSE TRIO?
    Posted: 23-Apr-2019 at 1:46pm

SUPER RUGBY SPOTLIGHT: The Lions’ chances of making the Super Rugby play-offs this year may well depend on their key loose forwards staying fit.

The Lions’ Round 10 match against the Chiefs saw Warren Whiteley, Kwagga Smith and Cyle Brink form a back-row combination for the first time this season and they played a massive role in the Johannesburg side’s 23-17 victory in Hamilton.

All three players had high work rates against the Chiefs and they certainly made their presence felt on defence and at the breakdowns. They also brought some much-need mobility to the Lions’ attacking play.

Lions assistant coach Ivan van Rooyen knows how valuable their contribution will be in the weeks to come if the Lions are to sustain a challenge for a play-off place.

“It will be big. I think it’s the first game we’ve played this year with all three together,” said Van Rooyen.

“The word is consistent, so now Kwagga gets a little bit more game, Cyle just came back from a knee [injury] and it was Warren’s first game back.

“Hopefully we can get a couple of games in [with those three players].”

Van Rooyen was proud of his team’s defensive display against the Chiefs.

“The guys really put their body on the line defensively.

“There was a clear plan from the senior players and I think they put up their hands,” said Van Rooyen.

The Lions are currently second in the South African Conference, just one point behind the Bulls.

Their next match is against the defending champions Crusaders in Christchurch on Friday.

@rugby365com

https://rugby365.com/tournaments/super-rugby/news-super-rugby/the-perfect-loose-trio

Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2019 at 1:50pm
Ons het altesaam 24 tackles gemis. Veral die 2 van Johannes Jonker was vir my opmerklik, nie vir my gelyk of sy hart saam met hom op die veld was nie
Goue Leeu View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goue Leeu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2019 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Transvaal Transvaal wrote:

Ons het altesaam 24 tackles gemis. Veral die 2 van Johannes Jonker was vir my opmerklik, nie vir my gelyk of sy hart saam met hom op die veld was nie
In daardie geval moet Jonker sommer dadelik weer uitgelaat word. Speel eerder iemand in sy plek wat alles insit vir sy spanmaats en sy Unie.
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2019 at 2:16pm
Ek sou maar ek sien hy is weer op die bank vir die volgende wedstryd
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic