Forum Home Forum Home > Rugby Competitions > Super Rugby
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fit-again Kwagga chomping at the bit to start agai
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lions next play Munster at Ellis Park in the URC on 27 April 2024, kickoff is at 17:00

Fit-again Kwagga chomping at the bit to start agai

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fit-again Kwagga chomping at the bit to start agai
    Posted: 19-Feb-2019 at 1:39pm
https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/super-rugby/fit-again-kwagga-chomping-at-the-bit-to-start-against-stormers-19376638

Lions boss Swys de Bruin has a tough decision to make: Does he pick his three-try hero from the Jaguares win, Marnus Schoeman, to start against the Stormers this weekend, or does he go with the fit-again Kwagga Smith, who withdrew from the trip to Argentina because of injury?

It’s a tough call for the Lions coach, who backed Schoeman in the No 6 jersey last weekend, but Smith was, and probably still is, the Lions’ first choice openside flank.

The good news though is the former Sevens star will in all probability feature for the Lions when they travel to Cape Town for a second round match against the Stormers, who came horribly unstuck first-up against the Bulls.

“I’m fully fit and ready to play,” declared Smith yesterday.

“It was a 50/50 thing last week and we decided it was better that I rather stay at home and fully get over the calf strain. There was no point taking a risk for one game and maybe missing the season,” he explained.

Smith said it didn’t matter where he slotted in this week, as long as he got into the Lions squad.

“Look, it’s frustrating sitting on the sidelines and watching things. I can’t wait to get stuck in again, I’m very excited. I don’t mind if I start or come on from the bench, as long as I can play again.”

He was full of praise for his team and especially Schoeman, who scored a hat-trick of tries for the Lions’ in their first-ever win in Buenos Aires, 25-16.

“I think we’ll take that for a first up performance. It’s never been easy going there and winning, so I’m very pleased the guys could pull it off,” he said.

“There was pressure on us after what happened previously so the calm and control the guys showed was impressive. It’s always nice to start with an away win and it gives us something to build on.

“And what can I say about Marnus; he had an excellent game, so it’ll be now interesting to see what the coach decides. Either way, strong competition in the squad is a good thing.”

Besides Smith, who is again available this week, De Bruin will also possibly be able to consider lock Stephan Lewies, who is on a short term contract with the three-time Super Rugby runners-up. The former Sharks man was set to make his Lions debut last weekend, but, like Smith, withdrew during the week because of a pectoral injury.

Other seasoned Lions players like Cyle Brink, Robbie Coetzee, Johannes Jonker and Ross Cronje are long-term injury concerns and won’t be considered for selection anytime soon.
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2019 at 1:42pm
Baie moeilike besluit, maar dit sal teen-produktief wees om 'n speler wat drie driee gedruk het te drop. Kwagga moet maar op die bank begin.
Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2019 at 1:45pm
Stem, ek sal ook Schoeman bo hom kies op die oomblik.

Wat van kwagga op 7 in Dayamani se plek? Hy het nie vir my baie gefeature in die jags game nie. So ons gaan nie veel verloor om nog n klein, vinnige flank in te span nie. 
Lion4ever View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lion4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2019 at 1:45pm
This is a nice problem to have. 
Attie Karate View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Attie Karate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2019 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Transvaal Transvaal wrote:

Baie moeilike besluit, maar dit sal teen-produktief wees om 'n speler wat drie driee gedruk het te drop. Kwagga moet maar op die bank begin.

Nee wat, Kwagga was beslis nie op sy beste laasjaar nie. Maklike besluit. Schoeman all the way.
Up the Vaal!
WitBoer View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitBoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2019 at 3:54pm
Schoeman het sy kans met albei hande aangegryp en ek dink ook dit sal onregverdig wees om hom net te drop vir iemand wat van 'n besering af kom. Laat Kwagga van die bank af kom of speel hom dalk op 7. 
"Believe nothing, No matter where you read it, Or who has said it, Not even if I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own common sense" - Buddha
LeeuBrul View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeuBrul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2019 at 4:02pm
Ek sal beide kies,met Brink Nog uit....Dyamani op die bank....
Once a Lion always a lion
Lion4ever View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lion4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2019 at 5:06pm
Problem is that Kwagga is a hybrid between Dayamani and Marnus. I think Dayamani had an ok game. He did not really have any opportunity to carry the ball, but he was very present in taking up space and made a few tackles. I would keep my loose trio as is, but the question is who does Swys drop from the bench. 
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2019 at 5:30pm
He made the 2nd most tackles according to the stats
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic