Forum Home Forum Home > Lions Section > Lions Players News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lions next play the Ospreys in Swansea in the URC on 30 March 2024, kickoff is at 17:05

Lions stalwart Cronje calls it a day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lions stalwart Cronje calls it a day
    Posted: 13-Jan-2022 at 9:11am
Lions and Springbok scrumhalf Ross Cronje has called time on his professional rugby career.

Cronje, who made over 150 appearances for the Johannesburg franchise across all competitions, reflects on an illustrious career which featured several remarkable moments.

“Our Currie Cup victory in 2015 is definitely up there, but a close second was playing in the Super Rugby final. Despite the result not going our way, it was amazing to experience it all," he recalls.

A former captain of the side, Cronje believes the current squad competing in the Vodacom United Rugby Championship will adjust quite quickly and could be strong contenders as the tournament progresses.

“I’ve heard positive things from the guys about their recent tour to the UK, coupled with the excitement of playing in a new tournament, says Cronje.

“It may have been a tough start for us, but the guys seem to be finding their feet and I am positive that success is around the corner.”

Capped ten times by the Springboks, Cronje will now swop his rugby kit for corporate attire as he tackles the next phase of his life.

“My focus now shifts to the property world where I’ll be joining a property group specializing in a range of commercial and industrial portfolios. It’s something I’m really looking forward to- embarking on a second career."

Lions Rugby Company CEO Rudolf Straeuli thanked Cronje for his valuable contribution to the franchise and to the game of rugby in South Africa.

“Ross has been a prime example of a true professional. Besides being a quality player, he displayed immense maturity within the leadership group and served as an outstanding example to the younger players in our system,” said Straeuli.

“We wish him and his family well as they embark on a life after rugby,” he concluded. 
PaBz0r View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaBz0r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2022 at 4:35pm
Daai 2015 CC het hy n helse goeie seisoen gehad. Sterkte Ross!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic