Forum Home Forum Home > Lions Section > Union, Management and Coach discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lions next play Leinster at Ellis Park in the URC on 20 April 2024, kickoff is at 15:00

Current state of lions rugby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2021 at 5:49pm
Het hierdie post op Facebook gesien, deur Willie otto:

LIONS SUPPORTERS BECOMING INTOLERANT AND FRUSTRATED
Since the (pre-Covid) Super Rugby of 2020 there’s been a marked deterioration in what used to be the top team in South Africa for several seasons. Despite that, from my side I’ve always done my best to encourage and defend our Lions team as well as creating a positive frame of mind for our readers/supporters by mentioning that we’ve lost a lot of our top players, and we are in the process of rebuilding a new team. However, one cannot fool the public forever by defending poor performances week after week. Don’t be misled by the fact that (on paper) both teams scored 4 tries each. If it wasn’t for some horrendous miss-tackles, the Sharks should never have scored some of those tries. And if it wasn’t for some unforced errors like knock-ons on the attack, the Lions would (and should have) scored more tries. Once again, we committed suicide with basic errors. And to add insult to injury, we were robbed when a penalty by the Sharks was clearly ‘timed-out’ – yet it was added to their score.
Sorry, but no matter how hard I try, I simply cannot find a valid excuse for such a lacklustre performance from a Union boasting (with few exceptions) some of the best individual players in the country. Yet, despite this abundance of talent and flair, they are failing dismally as a team. Sub-standard handling skills, poor defence and seemingly a total lack of cohesion and game plan currently makes them look extremely vulnerable and mediocre. Even to the die-hard supporters (including myself), this is heart-breaking and unacceptable. Lack of basic skills, team choice, game plan and discipline might be blamed on coaching. However, hiring and firing the WRONG people points directly to top management. We as supporters cannot condone such inexplicable decisions. The way certain ‘heroes/favourites’ (e.g. Marnus Schoeman) were treated is highly questionable, and will not soon be forgotten or forgiven. Well… somebody had to say it.
A little ray of light was that our lineouts were beyond criticism, but apart from that aspect the Lions looked pretty helpless in most other departments. Even our scrums were struggling. With no striking power in the midfield and ineffective ball retention and distribution, dangerous wingers like Rabz Maxwane and Courtnall Skosan were for most part keeping the linesmen company and hardly ever saw the ball. Also, at a stage where the Sharks were down to 13 men, we were incapable of penetrating their defence. And that after two attempts playing with a penalty advantage right under their posts! And then the inexplicable incident when we were on our way to score, and half the mall broke away. What should have been a definite Lions try, turned into a Sharks penalty. Where did we learn this?
Lastly - all of us had a lot to say when the Bulls bought the “has-been” 36-year-old Morné Steyn. And now? Last Saturday he single-handedly turned the match on its head when he came onto the field in the second half, and basically forced the Lions to defend in their own 22 for the rest of the match. Yesterday he was once again the kingpin in the Bulls’ victory over the Stormers on their home ground. His split second on-field decisions and pin-point kicking (both tactical and at posts) simply emphasizes the importance of a reliable top class No.10. At present, apart from Gianni Lombard and maybe Tiaan Swanepoel (both injured), we simply have no flyhalf to compete at that level.
I’ve been a Lions supporter since 1956 (65 years) and will forever remain 100% loyal to the Red-and-White team. However, it’s becoming increasingly more frustrating and difficult. Clearly some urgent dramatic changes are required if we wish to remain a factor in SA rugby, and not forced into a promotion relegation game again with the Cheetahs, or even worse, the Kings. Another huge concern is: “For how long will the best sponsor in the world (Emirates Air) tolerate this indifferent exposure?”.
So, come on Lions.. time to make a statement on Saturday against the Stormers!
**Soli Deo Gloria** / **LIONS4LIFE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic