Forum Home Forum Home > General Rugby > World Rugby Issues
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Get rid of rugby’s TMO, pleads former referee An
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lions next play Leinster at Ellis Park in the URC on 20 April 2024, kickoff is at 15:00

Get rid of rugby’s TMO, pleads former referee An

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Get rid of rugby’s TMO, pleads former referee An
    Posted: 05-Mar-2021 at 10:05am
https://citizen.co.za/sport/south-african-sport/sa-rugby-sport/2450676/get-rid-of-rugbys-tmo-pleads-former-referee-andre-watson/

“It’s not rocket science and I think we have over-complicated the game,” said the former Test referee.

If it were up to him he would do away with television match officials, said well-known former Test referee Andre Watson on Thursday.

“One day when I become the Minister of Sport, and that won’t happen, I will ban the TMO,” said Watson, who is still the only referee to have handled two World Cup finals, in 1999 and 2003.

Watson was talking at the launch of the book Rugby – the Tournament alongside author Hankie Vogel and commentator Hugh Bladen on Thursday.

The infographics-based book is a look-back at previous World Cups, but focused more on the visual aspect of the tournament.

“We have forgotten why the TMO was introduced in the first place,” said Watson.

The television match official was brought into the game to help the referee make the right decisions with regards to things like a player’s foot being on the touchline or deciding whether the ball has been grounded in the process of scoring a try.

“I was the first referee to do a game with a TMO in it and I am sorry to this day that I took part in it,” said Watson.

“I remember (TMO) Shaun Veldsman had two pencils; one in his hand and one on the screen, and he got all his decisions right.”

Watson said the TMO had evolved into a co-referee in today’s game. “The man in the middle should take ownership, but what we see these days is that they refer things to the TMO, then they discuss it with the assistant referees, and it’s almost like American Football with ‘time out’ and time wasted’.”

He added in the time it took for the officials to make a decision he could make a cup of tea.

“It’s not rocket science and I think we have over-complicated the game,” added Watson, who said he wasn’t knocking the referees or the TMOs, but the system.

PaBz0r View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaBz0r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2021 at 11:49am
.... Nee wat. dit is verseker nodig. Dat dit baie tyd vat is n ander saak. 
valie View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2021 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by PaBz0r PaBz0r wrote:

.... Nee wat. dit is verseker nodig. Dat dit baie tyd vat is n ander saak. 
Stem. dis nodig.
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2021 at 3:31pm
Ek dink ook hy is verkeerd aangehaal, TMO is verseker nodig
WitBoer View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitBoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2021 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Transvaal Transvaal wrote:

Watson said the TMO had evolved into a co-referee in today’s game. “The man in the middle should take ownership, but what we see these days is that they refer things to the TMO, then they discuss it with the assistant referees, and it’s almost like American Football with ‘time out’ and time wasted’.

Geen probleem daarmee nie, stem eintlik saam, maar dan moet daar ook nagevolge wees wanneer 'n skeidsregter blatant die verkeerde besluite maak of goed miskyk soos wat Egon Seconds gereeld doen wanneer WP betrokke is...
Maar die TV skeidsregter is beslis nodig. Ek dink selfs hulle kan die reels bietjie verander sodat hy meer betrokke kan raak. Miskien moet die Varsity Cup 'n seisoen trial waar die TV Skeidsregter eintlik die hoof skeidsregter is en die skeidsregters op die veld sy Pionne is...
"Believe nothing, No matter where you read it, Or who has said it, Not even if I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own common sense" - Buddha
monster View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2021 at 8:00am
My probleem met die TMO is dat met al die tenologie tot hulle beskiking maak hulle steeds baie foutiewe beslissings. 

Ons groot probleem het met tegnologie gekom , die herhalende oor en oor speel van ne beweging , die in zoom en die slow motions , snaakste ontleding ( kyk na die hande en nie bal nie)
Attie Karate View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Attie Karate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2021 at 8:30am
TMO is beslis belangrik, maar die hoeveelheid foute is onaanvaanbaar. So ook die tyd wat dit neem.
Up the Vaal!
valie View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2021 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Attie Karate Attie Karate wrote:

TMO is beslis belangrik, maar die hoeveelheid foute is onaanvaanbaar. So ook die tyd wat dit neem.
In Rugby League het hulle ook n TMO, maar hy raak nie betrokke by beslissings nie, behalwe wanneer die skeidsregter hom vra. Hy review wel elke drie, maar daar is nie n lang discussion nie. As die drie staan verskyn daar net op die big screen in groot letters die woord "TRY" op n groen agtergrond. Indien die drie nie staan nie, verskyn "NO TRY" op n rooi agtergrond, met n replay van die aksie.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic