Forum Home Forum Home > Lions Section > Lions Players News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lions next play the Ospreys in Swansea in the URC on 30 March 2024, kickoff is at 17:05

Simelane issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2020 at 9:54am
Originally posted by L13 L13 wrote:

I 100% agree that effort outweighs talent. Ackermann and Swys proved that when they took "rejects" from the bulls and sharks and made us Super Rugby finalists.

My point with the youngsters I mentioned was more about planning and road-mapping. You see it in New Zealand all the time - talented youngster in year 1 is in the squad, learning the ropes with a few games off the bench, year 2 - he's on the bench and starting a few games, year 3 - he's rotating with the starter and year 4 he is the starter and a new youngster joins the system. That way the team is moving the "old" player on and plan correctly. Youngsters also understand where they are and feel like they are part of the plan. 

In SA we seem to be desperate to hang on to guys to the point where we are still negotiating with guys for next season long after the current season ended.

Last year for example - we all knew Mapoe was going (actually as much as I really like him - it looked like a season too many at times last season), but how many games did his replacement start? Did we even know who would be our outside center this season? We knew Marx would be on sabbatical yet how many games did Jansen start?

Planning is critical , but its a different issue. Attitude vs Ability is the issue here. I will always pick attitude first . If players both have a good attitude, only then I will look at ability and pick that guy.

Sure , circumstances , pr lack of game time could create attitude issues, but that is were a player is tested and needs to past that character test . It happens to all of us in work as well, you are tested, but some fail and others stand up

emiel1 View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emiel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2020 at 11:05am
Originally posted by L13 L13 wrote:

I 100% agree that effort outweighs talent. Ackermann and Swys proved that when they took "rejects" from the bulls and sharks and made us Super Rugby finalists.

My point with the youngsters I mentioned was more about planning and road-mapping. You see it in New Zealand all the time - talented youngster in year 1 is in the squad, learning the ropes with a few games off the bench, year 2 - he's on the bench and starting a few games, year 3 - he's rotating with the starter and year 4 he is the starter and a new youngster joins the system. That way the team is moving the "old" player on and plan correctly. Youngsters also understand where they are and feel like they are part of the plan. 

In SA we seem to be desperate to hang on to guys to the point where we are still negotiating with guys for next season long after the current season ended.

Last year for example - we all knew Mapoe was going (actually as much as I really like him - it looked like a season too many at times last season), but how many games did his replacement start? Did we even know who would be our outside center this season? We knew Marx would be on sabbatical yet how many games did Jansen start?

Think you touch on quite a few important points here. South African administrators have quite a few challenges that New Zealand administrators don't ( i.e. , a falling Rand that is bordering on banana currency status; political interference etc). But at the end of the day these are no excuses, they are in fact reasons for management to be pro active instead of re-active. Your point of having youngsters groomed alongside established veterans in a relatively stable environment instead of contracting rejects and injury prone old timers in their mid 30's on short notice to assist these youngsters is valid.
monster View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2020 at 11:45am
Hy is n baie talentvolle speler .... ek hoop hulle sort die ding uit (as daar ooit n issue is) ek glo steeds hy gaan n ster word met die regte houding en harde werk ... hy moet beslis aan sy verdediging werk maar kom ons hoop hu word daai ster in n leeu trui.  Hoop nie hy word n Finn Russel nie
Leeu1975 View Drop Down
Pasgebore Leeu
Pasgebore Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeu1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2020 at 3:16pm
Ek lees op Rugby365 Simelane is ook in WP se visier!
Gebore Leeu-ondersteuner
Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2020 at 7:20am
Originally posted by Leeu1975 Leeu1975 wrote:

Ek lees op Rugby365 Simelane is ook in WP se visier!

Het daai ook gesien ja. Kans is seker groot dat hy ook binnekort gaan waai. Hy het nognie baie vir ons begin nie so is seker nie 'n te groot verlies nie, maar hy het potensiaal om 'n baie goeie speler te word. Dis een ding om sterre wat al jare lank vir jou speel te verloor, maar wane jou jong talent ook waai is da probleme..
Niela View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2020 at 9:21am
Die stormers het Gelant ook gekoop sien ek.

Vaal Leeu 3 View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vaal Leeu 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2020 at 9:26am
Ek lees die week Kolisi het ook al vir Simelani gebel en met hom gesels om Wp toe te skuif. Daar was in verlede groot ophef van Simelani gemaak maar hy het my nog nie baie beindruk nie. Ja hy speel min maar mis ek iets, is die man so goed soos wat dit klink maar nie lyk nie?
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2020 at 9:34am
Daar is te veel gerugte van hoe ongelukkig hy is, hy moet eerder gaan
L13 View Drop Down
Pasgebore Leeu
Pasgebore Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2020 at 9:48am
I still think we are making a massive mistake if he walks away. He is one of the best in the world in his age range. There is all this talk about "bad attitude", "fitness" and "defense" -  I don't buy these stories. I don't think he would have got this far if these are genuine issues. Also defense is a skill - it can be worked on and improved. He's certainly not going to improve sitting in the stands.

I think there is a lot of unhappiness from his side with the union. He feels (rightly or wrongly) that he should he the starting 13. I suspect that there is reluctance from the coaching team to have a 22 year old as the starting 13 with an unsettled and inexperienced back-line (again rightly or wrongly).

I really hope we can hang onto him and the likes of Dayimani (who I think is also frustrated with game time). Madosh and now Green leaving really hurt a lot and I'm almost resigned to seeing Simelane leave, closely followed by Dayimani and the likes of McBeth and Ntlabakanye.
WitBoer View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitBoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2020 at 10:22am
It is really starting to feel like the Lions of old... Players leaving as soon as they get a chance, team under performing, worst SA team, low morale, etc. etc. etc.... What happened? How did we get here from the highs of 2017 within 3 years? 
Lets be honest, we will not be winning any silverware soon and with all our young stars leaving, I can't be optimistic about the future... Fine, I can accept that one player might have an attitude and discipline issue, but what about the others? Green, Vermaak, Marx, Venter, Tambwe... 
Look at the Bulls, they appointed a world class coach, contracting players with alot of potential and some big names, maybe they have the money, but look at the Stormers... According to reports the last couple of months, they are also battling financially, yet they are able to keep their best players and lure others South...
Ive got a weird feeling of deja vu.
"Believe nothing, No matter where you read it, Or who has said it, Not even if I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own common sense" - Buddha
Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2020 at 10:41am
Originally posted by WitBoer WitBoer wrote:

It is really starting to feel like the Lions of old... Players leaving as soon as they get a chance, team under performing, worst SA team, low morale, etc. etc. etc.... What happened? How did we get here from the highs of 2017 within 3 years? 
Lets be honest, we will not be winning any silverware soon and with all our young stars leaving, I can't be optimistic about the future... Fine, I can accept that one player might have an attitude and discipline issue, but what about the others? Green, Vermaak, Marx, Venter, Tambwe... 
Look at the Bulls, they appointed a world class coach, contracting players with alot of potential and some big names, maybe they have the money, but look at the Stormers... According to reports the last couple of months, they are also battling financially, yet they are able to keep their best players and lure others South...
Ive got a weird feeling of deja vu.

Ek voel dieselfde as jy. 

Net vir interessantheid. Wat is die beste span wat ons tans in die veld kan stoot as Super rugby nou weer sou begin?
gertjie0000 View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertjie0000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2020 at 10:50am
15. Gianni Lombard as hy reg is
14. Skosan
13. Simlane
12. Kriel
11. Jamba Ulengo
10. Jantjies
9. Ross
8. Dayimane
7. Rudolf Smith
6. Kriel
5. Orie
4. Ruben Schoeman
3. Carlu Sadie
2. Jan Henning Campher
1. Dylan Smith

Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2020 at 11:13am
Originally posted by gertjie0000 gertjie0000 wrote:

14. Skosan
13. Simlane
12. Kriel
11. Jamba Ulengo
10. Jantjies
9. Ross
8. Dayimane
7. Rudolf Smith
6. Kriel
5. Orie
4. Ruben Schoeman
3. Carlu Sadie
2. Jan Henning Campher
1. Dylan Smith

Wel, Simelane gaan nou heel moontlik waai. En daar was praatjies dat Elton ook oppad is, maar vir nou kan ons seker aanneem hy is nog beskikbaar. Dit is maar 'n baie average span daai in my opinie. 
Vaal Leeu 3 View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vaal Leeu 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2020 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Leeubok Leeubok wrote:

Originally posted by gertjie0000 gertjie0000 wrote:

14. Skosan
13. Simlane
12. Kriel
11. Jamba Ulengo
10. Jantjies
9. Ross
8. Dayimane
7. Rudolf Smith
6. Kriel
5. Orie
4. Ruben Schoeman
3. Carlu Sadie
2. Jan Henning Campher
1. Dylan Smith

Wel, Simelane gaan nou heel moontlik waai. En daar was praatjies dat Elton ook oppad is, maar vir nou kan ons seker aanneem hy is nog beskikbaar. Dit is maar 'n baie average span daai in my opinie. 
Baie weak op 2, 5, 12. Moeilikheid as Elton seerkry. Dalk ma beter om dstv af te sit
Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2020 at 1:34pm
Ek sal eerder kyk hoeveel van ons spelers is bok gehalte en sal in ander spanne instap. Smith en Sadie is goed, alhoewel hul tot dusver sonder Marx maar gesukkel het. Kriel weet ons almal is goed, Elton op sy dag en Skosan was baie goed voor sy besering. Gertjie het dalk vergeet van Alberts, dink mens moet hom ook maar noem. 

Res van die ouens sal nie sommer by enige van die ander 3 SA spanne as 1ste keuse speler instap nie.
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertjie0000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2020 at 2:25pm
Ek stem saam julle Leeubok, ek glo as ons wel vir Odendaal, Visagie en Divan Rossouw by die Bulle kan kry sal ons verseker al beter lyk, ek dink eending wat Jake doen wat ek dink vir hulle baie gaan beteken is hy soek 'n domineerende pak voorspelers dit is tog waar dit begin
Niela View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2020 at 8:45pm
looks like Visagie wants a new home after the bulls bought a new hooker today.

I watched the 2016/2017 and 2018 finals 2 weeks ago (lockdown) . We lost soooo many players.

But the real eye opener for me was when I saw our 2017 supersport challenge side (that lots to griekwas in the semi final)

Xerox Golden Lions XV: Jaco van der Walt, Madosh Tambwe, Jan-Louis la Grange, Jarryd Sage, Anthony Volmink, Shaun Reynolds, Dillon Smit, Jano Venter (captain), Fabian Booysen, James Venter, Marvin Orie, Bobby de Wee, Justin Ackerman, Robbie Coetzee, Sti Sithole. 

Replacements: Pieter Jansen, Pieter Scholtz, Rhyno Herbst, Hacjivah Dayimani, Marco Jansen van Vuren, Rohan Janse van Rensburg, Ashlon Davids.

Put Elton at 10 and sadie at 3 and this side will probably beat our current S15 team. 

Red_Machine View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red_Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2020 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Vaal Leeu 3 Vaal Leeu 3 wrote:

Ek lees die week Kolisi het ook al vir Simelani gebel en met hom gesels om Wp toe te skuif. Daar was in verlede groot ophef van Simelani gemaak maar hy het my nog nie baie beindruk nie. Ja hy speel min maar mis ek iets, is die man so goed soos wat dit klink maar nie lyk nie?
doesn't surprise me that Kolisi is doing that, I question his class, sportsmanship and general ethics
Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2020 at 7:18am
Originally posted by Niela Niela wrote:

I watched the 2016/2017 and 2018 finals 2 weeks ago (lockdown) . We lost soooo many players.

But the real eye opener for me was when I saw our 2017 supersport challenge side (that lots to griekwas in the semi final)

Xerox Golden Lions XV: Jaco van der Walt, Madosh Tambwe, Jan-Louis la Grange, Jarryd Sage, Anthony Volmink, Shaun Reynolds, Dillon Smit, Jano Venter (captain), Fabian Booysen, James Venter, Marvin Orie, Bobby de Wee, Justin Ackerman, Robbie Coetzee, Sti Sithole. 

Replacements: Pieter Jansen, Pieter Scholtz, Rhyno Herbst, Hacjivah Dayimani, Marco Jansen van Vuren, Rohan Janse van Rensburg, Ashlon Davids.

Put Elton at 10 and sadie at 3 and this side will probably beat our current S15 team. 

Wow, you're right, I doubt our current team would be able to beat this one! Our first problem is that we don't have too many international quality players to start off with. Second problem is we have no depth. We don't have a B team full of promising youngsters or guys unlucky to miss out on a starting berth. Even the promising youngsters are leaving left right and center.

L13 View Drop Down
Pasgebore Leeu
Pasgebore Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2020 at 10:28am
Stormers have a coach that the players love playing for and are prepared to stay (and join) despite the financial situation. Sharks seem to have created a great atmosphere and have a vision players are buying into (enough to turn down 9 mill a year). Bulls have JW and as decisive as he is, players want to play under him as he has star appeal.

We used to have that cultural and atmosphere which the players still talk about...but I am struggling to believe it is still there given how guys are jumping ship.

Really hope it isn't a repeat of the Lions of old - exciting to watch but no end product and players with any talent jump ship at the first chance - especially if they have any hope of being a Bok (Alberts, Ludik, Mujati, Van Heerdan, G. Mostert, Vermaak...) 

Good news is that all of our problems are fixable, get a coaching team guys want to play for and rebuild the culture (Sharks did it in 1 year).
vdwestjo View Drop Down
Welpie
Welpie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vdwestjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2020 at 11:44am
Hopelik is vlge artikel waar in beeld:

Klink of Marx tog wel by Lions wil bly en dit meer 'n agent issue is dat hy net 'n kommissie wil verdien met Marx se skuif na Japan
Lions4life
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertjie0000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2020 at 12:13pm
Ja ek het ook die artikel gelees en dit klink verseker asof dit sy agent is wat geld probeer maak uit n deal oorsee terwyl Marx hier wil bly en Rudolf klink positief dat hy moontlik by die leeus kan bly, en dat ons besig is oet onderhandelinge met bulle spelers hy oraat van ons kyk na n senter, slot en flank on die span te versterk sal great wees as Malcolm kan bly sal baie vir ons beteken in die cc en volgende jaar
valie View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2020 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by vdwestjo vdwestjo wrote:

Hopelik is vlge artikel waar in beeld:

Klink of Marx tog wel by Lions wil bly en dit meer 'n agent issue is dat hy net 'n kommissie wil verdien met Marx se skuif na Japan
Agente is partykeer die groot sondebokke. Ek hoop regtig Marx bly.
valie View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2020 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Niela Niela wrote:

Wel, dis hoog tyd dat ons luck draai.

As al die rumours waar is (oor Marx wat dalk bly en Dryer wat oppad terug is), en Warren herstel van sy besering (ek weet dis dalk wensdenkery, maar mens mag seker droom), kan ons n groep in die veld stoot wat as volg lyk:

15. Boeboes, Tiaan Swanepoel, Divan Rossouw
14. Ulengo, February, Nkabinde
13. Simelane, Matthews, Van der Schyff
12. Dan Kriel, Manny Rass, James Mollentze
11. Skosan, Pienaar
10. Elton, Lombard, (Mollentze kan ook op 10 speel)
9. Ross, Dillon, Warner, Krappie
8. Warren, Dayimane, Francke Horn
7. Vincent, Massyn, De Villiers
6. Kriel, Schoeman, Smit, Daai junior Bok flank
5. Orie (gaan hy nog weg?), Nothnagel, van der Sluys
4. Alberts, Schoeman, Herbst
3. Sadie, Dryer, Jannie, van Wyk, Daai skool laaitie van Monnas
2. Marx, Visagie, Campher, Jansen, Botha, Dameon Venter
1. Dylan, Sithole, Macbeth

Ek weet hier is seker nog ouens wat gaan waai, en weer ander wat gaan inkom, maar as ons vir Dryer, Marx, Jaco Kriel en Warren terug het in ons pak, kan dit vir ons n massive boost wees.
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertjie0000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2020 at 6:25pm
Valie met so groep lyk dit stukke beter en ons besig met Odendaal ook so hy kan moontlik op 12 bykom hy is vir my n uitstekende senter en sal ook n groot aanwins wees as daai groep net so kan wees met Odendaal by lyk ons eweskielik baie sterk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic