Forum Home Forum Home > Rugby Competitions > Super Rugby
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tuitavake might just be the everyday hero the Bull
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lions next play Leinster at Ellis Park in the URC on 20 April 2024, kickoff is at 15:00

Tuitavake might just be the everyday hero the Bull

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuitavake might just be the everyday hero the Bull
    Posted: 28-Jan-2020 at 7:58am
https://citizen.co.za/sport/south-african-sport/sa-rugby-sport/super-rugby/2234048/nafi-tuitavake-might-just-be-the-everyday-hero-the-bulls-need/

The Tongan import is more famous for the connections he’s made around him, but he’s carved out a decent reputation himself.

Late last year, Nafi Tuitavake sat at home in New Zealand a concerned man.

In fact, he admits he was “pretty worried”.

The 31-year-old centre’s World Cup campaign with Tonga had just come to a shuddering halt after he broke his arm against Eddie Jones’ Englishmen.

A free agent following his departure from the Northampton Saints after a successful three years, Tuitavake didn’t allow his status – injured and contract-less – to get him down.

He worked hard and got the all-clear from his surgeon.

Almost immediately afterwards, his agent informed him he’d offered his services to a few potential teams, one of them the Bulls.

“He told me they’re interested and asked me if I’m interested. I told him, ‘Yeah I’d be interested of course,” Tuitavake, who arrived in South Africa last week after a visa delay, said at Loftus on Monday.

Yet the Auckland native was steeling himself for a bit of cat-and-mouse.

Foreign-based stars don’t exactly come in droves to South Africa to play Super Rugby and, given his own status as a relatively unknown player to a local audience, Tuitavake expected the Bulls to take their time.

“So imagine my surprise when I received an offer three days later,” he said.

“It all happened very quickly after that. I’m finally here and I’m grateful. I’ve been adjusting to the altitude and sun a bit, but it’s good times.”

The suits also didn’t exactly have to convince him about the lure of Loftus.

As a former Crusader, he experienced the full brunt of Bulls passion and power in a 31-19 defeat in 2015.

“It’s a great opportunity to be involved with a great club. It’s a challenge I’ve been willing to take up,” said Tuitavake.

“I’ve played here before with the Crusaders. I remember it was a day where the result definitely didn’t go our way. It’s a tough place to play if you’re not turning out for the home side!”

While there are expectations that he’s relatively close to being a like-for-like replacement for Springbok star Jesse Kriel, the 14-Test midfielder humbly regards himself as a decent player with some famous connections.

His brother, Anthony, was an accomplished All Blacks and Blues winger, while he was also Dan Carter’s roommate, a man regarded as one of the greatest flyhalves in history.

“I was pretty lucky just to be Anthony’s shadow and follow in his footsteps. I tried to learn as much as I could from him, he’s a great sibling,” said Tuitavake.

“And ah man, when I was in Dan’s company I tended to stay quiet. Whatever he had to offer, I listened. Socially, I was also a bit star-struck to be honest. I idolised him. He’s a great team man and great bloke. We became good friends.”

Even though he considers himself a sponge of sorts, Tuitavake deserves some credit himself for exposing himself to different conditions and becoming a more rounded player, notably taking the plunge and making the trek to the Saints and the English Premiership.

“I’m pretty confident with what I can offer the boys here. I’m one of the older fellas in this team, so I’ll have to keep up a bit with the young guys. But I’ve had my taste of Super Rugby and I’ve experienced Europe. I have big boots to fills, so I just want to give back as much as I can for this opportunity,” he said.

And that’s probably why the Bulls felt him an attractive signing.

Tuitavake is no superstar.

But he might be the everyday hero a team in transition needs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic