Forum Home Forum Home > Rugby Competitions > Springbokke
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lions next play Leinster at Ellis Park in the URC on 20 April 2024, kickoff is at 15:00

B&I Lions tour schedule

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B&I Lions tour schedule
    Posted: 06-Dec-2019 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Transvaal Transvaal wrote:

Dit het al in die verlede gebeur dat toetse op FNB gehou is, maar die Leeus was die "host", so as dit dieselfde reeling is, mag dit dalk wees dat ons wel iets vir die FNB toets sal verdien

In daai geval sal ek tevrede wees. Sou nogsteeds nice wees as ons ouens ook teen hulle kon speel, nie baie spelers kan se hulle het in 'n reeks teen die B&I leeus gespeel nie. Maar nouja
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2019 at 8:20am
Dit het al in die verlede gebeur dat toetse op FNB gehou is, maar die Leeus was die "host", so as dit dieselfde reeling is, mag dit dalk wees dat ons wel iets vir die FNB toets sal verdien
Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2019 at 8:11am
Originally posted by Attie Karate Attie Karate wrote:

Ag nee ouens, komaan. Joburg kan mos nou nie 3 van die games kry nie- dis mos logies.

Nee dit maak nie sin om 3 games in 1 stad te he nie. Maar het die GLRU enige affiliasie met die FNB stadion? Indien nie, baat ons net uit die toets op Ellispark. En ek praat nou van die unie, nie die stad Jhb nie. 

WP kry n toets en game teen Stormers. Vir ons (GLRU) sou dit sekerlik beter gewees het as die FNB toets elders was, se maar PE of waarookal, en ons kry 'n toets en game teen ons super rugby span
Attie Karate View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Attie Karate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2019 at 8:01am
Ag nee ouens, komaan. Joburg kan mos nou nie 3 van die games kry nie- dis mos logies.
Up the Vaal!
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2019 at 7:52am
Maar ek sal probeer om te hoor by die Leeus wat hulle daaroor dink as ek hulle volgende Woensdag sien
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2019 at 7:51am
Wel, ek vir een dink nie dis 'n issue nie, ons kry een van die toetse wat waarskynlik geldelik meer vir ons beteken
Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2019 at 7:48am
Slegte memories wat julle ouens opgebring het! Tye wat mens eerder wou vergeet...

So waarom kry elkeen van die super rugby spanne 'n game teen hulle, behalwe ons?? Eerder 'n " invitational" span van PE? So die " kings"  word alweer voorgetrek....
TunaLion View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TunaLion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2019 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Niela Niela wrote:

Originally posted by TunaLion TunaLion wrote:

We lost 74-10

Hi Transvaal, I didnt mean the score. Niela said something shocking happened to Louis Ludik, what was that?

Louis was injured (serious leg injury if I recall) He was taken off the field , the lions management wasn’t willing to get him an ambulance to transfer him to hospital. He was basically left to “sort himself out” , which I found shocking. 

He left us after that game and the rest is history 

Thx for the info, Niela.

No wonder he left us, that is very shocking!!!
Go LIONS!!!!!
Lion4ever View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lion4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2019 at 1:54pm
Those were indeed dark days. In some ways I am glad that we don't play the B&I Lions. Players get rested and do not risk injury.
Niela View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2019 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by TunaLion TunaLion wrote:

We lost 74-10

Hi Transvaal, I didnt mean the score. Niela said something shocking happened to Louis Ludik, what was that?

Louis was injured (serious leg injury if I recall) He was taken off the field , the lions management wasn’t willing to get him an ambulance to transfer him to hospital. He was basically left to “sort himself out” , which I found shocking. 

He left us after that game and the rest is history 
AK  View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK  Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2019 at 9:46am

I think what happened was that there was a guy that started a petition, I can't even remember what the petition was about, probably to remove the management, and I think the Lions CEO thought I was involved. 

What I did do, was to send an e-mail to some of the sponsors and potential investors and asked them if it wasn't possible to do a due diligence at the Lions to try and get to the bottom of what was going wrong, and I think someone forwarded this e-mail to the Lions CEO. I still think there was nothing wrong with me doing this, it's not like I was trying to harm the Lions, they were doing a pretty good job of that themselves.

In the end the CEO was replaced, and the whole Lions company was restructured, so the end goal was achieved, and even though I had nothing to do with it, that was what the Lions needed.

Yip. Petition was to remove the CEO of the time (who also visited lionsworld). The petition was started by the infamous Jandrie......What a trip down memory lane.....
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2019 at 8:37am
uitreksel van artikel op rugby365 van so jaar gelede (Augustus 2018)

https://rugby365.com/tournaments/super-rugby/news-super-rugby/sa-rugby-equity-changes-abound

The Lions, who played in three successive Super Rugby finals, is the most stable and unlikely to undergo any major changes in their financial structure.

Altmann Allers, Golden Lions Rugby Union vice-president and Glasfit owner, through Foxbell Investments, obtained a 49.9 percent equity shareholding in the Lions Rugby Company (Golden Lions Rugby Union) in 2011.

Despite the millions he has already invested into the Lions, Allers is ‘not looking’ for new partners.

The Lions are the closest example to the European model.

Allers is often referred to as a ‘vanity investor’ – the same as so many European football and French club rugby owners.

However, Allers’ roots at the Lions go much deeper, as he has helped – with assistance from Kevin de Klerk (himself a celebrated businessman) – bring the Lions back from the brink of bankruptcy to play in three successive Super Rugby finals.

Reports suggest that the Lions will remain in Super Rugby for 2019, perhaps 2020, but when the new deal has to be signed by SANZAAR they will also look to head north to one of the European competitions.

Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2019 at 8:18am
I think I got the accreditation back about two weeks after the Lions were voted out of 2013 Super Rugby
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2019 at 8:12am
During the 2012 Currie Cup season I had a few meetings with Kevin de Klerk and eventually LionsWorld got our accreditation back. At this stage it was almost a year after the CEO that gave us the red card left, and this was also just after John Mitchell's problems with the Lions and the players started. I think it was in this time that Altmann Allers bankrolled and basically saved the Lions from going under  
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2019 at 8:04am
I think what happened was that there was a guy that started a petition, I can't even remember what the petition was about, probably to remove the management, and I think the Lions CEO thought I was involved. 

What I did do, was to send an e-mail to some of the sponsors and potential investors and asked them if it wasn't possible to do a due diligence at the Lions to try and get to the bottom of what was going wrong, and I think someone forwarded this e-mail to the Lions CEO. I still think there was nothing wrong with me doing this, it's not like I was trying to harm the Lions, they were doing a pretty good job of that themselves.

In the end the CEO was replaced, and the whole Lions company was restructured, so the end goal was achieved, and even though I had nothing to do with it, that was what the Lions needed.
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2019 at 7:55am
During the 2010 season, the Lions also revoked my media accreditation, much like cricket SA just did with the 5 journalists, and I wasn't allowed at Ellis Park for about a year
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2019 at 7:48am
It was a low point in our history. The players were not conditioned as well as players from other franchises. Some players were expected to do things that were not rugby related at all. Then the next year we lost 13 Super Rugby matches on the trot. Not a time that I ever want to see at the Lions ever again.
GoLions View Drop Down
Jong Leeu
Jong Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoLions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2019 at 6:52am
Originally posted by Simba Simba wrote:

I was there. Afterwards we heard along the grapevine the players played golf the week prior to the game and no practicing. If I'm not mistaken - that was the end of Loffie's tenure. D
There were issues at the time and the players were threatening to strike because they wanted Loffie re-instated

"Players at the Golden Lions, the Lions' opponents in Johannesburg next week, have called off a threatened strike following this week's sacking of the Super 14 side's coach, Eugene Eloff.

The Golden Lions removed Eloff on Wednesday after commissioning the former South Africa coach Jake White to conduct a review of the franchise following a disappointing Super 14 campaign which saw the Lions record just four victories.

White's recommendation that Eloff be sacked was taken up immediately, despite the match against the touring Lions being just a week away. Players reacted angrily and said they would not play next Wednesday unless Eloff was reinstated."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/may/29/golden-lions-eugene-eloff-white

Billy4 View Drop Down
Pasgebore Leeu
Pasgebore Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2019 at 6:23am
Geen wedstryde by Bloemfontein! 
Simba View Drop Down
Pasgebore Leeu
Pasgebore Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2019 at 6:01am
I was there. Afterwards we heard along the grapevine the players played golf the week prior to the game and no practicing. If I'm not mistaken - that was the end of Loffie's tenure. D
db
TunaLion View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TunaLion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2019 at 10:49pm

We lost 74-10

Go LIONS!!!!!
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2019 at 8:51pm
We lost 74-10
TunaLion View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TunaLion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2019 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Niela Niela wrote:

Originally posted by GoLions GoLions wrote:

Two tests in Johannesburg but no game against the LionsConfused

Our last game vs the lions was an embarrassment. Louis ludick was injured that day and the treatment he received from the lions was shocking. We waited 12 years to get some sort of respect back , but looks like it will be 24 instead.

Not ideal 

I fortunately did not watch the game, as I was fearing for the worst beforehand. What happened with Ludick and why was it shocking?
Go LIONS!!!!!
Niela View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2019 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by GoLions GoLions wrote:

Our last game vs the lions was an embarrassment. Louis ludick was injured that day and the treatment he received from the lions was shocking. We waited 12 years to get some sort of respect back , but looks like it will be 24 instead.

Not ideal 
GoLions View Drop Down
Jong Leeu
Jong Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoLions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2019 at 11:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic