Forum Home Forum Home > Lions Section > Union, Management and Coach discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lions next play the Ospreys in Swansea in the URC on 30 March 2024, kickoff is at 17:05

Joey Mongalo – Disciplinary Outcome

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joey Mongalo – Disciplinary Outcome
    Posted: 02-May-2019 at 1:47pm

The Lions Rugby Company has concluded their internal disciplinary procedure which was chaired by an independent labour consultant on Thursday 25 April 2019.

Mr. Mongalo was found to have breached Company Policy, by bringing the Company's name into disrepute. The Company has decided to proceed with the recommended sanction handed down by the independent labour consultant which includes corrective disciplinary action and compulsory ethical and professional management training. 

Legally Mr. Mongalo maintains his innocence and therefore continues to appeal the Australian Magistrate court ruling and he proceeds to do so in his private capacity.

Mr. Mongalo is scheduled to resume his duties on Monday 6 May 2019, and the Company considers the matter as having been finalized.

The Lions Rugby Company will not make any further comments regarding this matter.

WitBoer View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitBoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2019 at 2:02pm
Weet nie hoe om hieroor te voel nie... Ek persoonlik dink hy moes "suspend" word tot sy appel afgehandel is. Indien sy appel onsuksesvol is moes hy afgedank geword het.
Ek sien op die GLRU se facebook dat hordes mense abie ongelukkig is omdat hy terug in sy pos is. 
As sy appel onsuksesvol is, sit ons met 'n verdedegingsafrigter wat nie saam die span kan toer nie... Lyk ook nie goed vir die beeld van die GLRU om 'n veroordeelde seksmisdadiger in sy strukture te he nie...
"Believe nothing, No matter where you read it, Or who has said it, Not even if I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own common sense" - Buddha
Red_Machine View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red_Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2019 at 2:17pm
Definitely should have been suspended until the outcome of his appeal is known. Thereafter, he should be fired if still guilty or reinstated if not guilty.

Let's keep in mind that this is not some misdemeanor, sexual assault is about as big as it gets. And to be found guilty in a court of law then allowed to return to duty??? No no no Lions, big mistake here.
gertjie0000 View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertjie0000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2019 at 2:39pm
Ja stem saam julle manne watse beeld skep dit vir ons unie dat n persoon aan so iets skuldig bevind is en hy bly aan in sy pos jy hy appeal die straf maar al die bewyse is daar wat gaan hy doen dat dit verander gaan hy se dit was net n joke gewees ek verstaan dit nie ek dink ons unie raak te budie budie,  ja mens soek daai broederskap onder mekaar maar as iemand so ernstige ding doen dan kan mens hom nie ondersteun nie
valie View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2019 at 3:14pm
Ek gaan wag tot die appel proses afgehandel is, voordat ek my mening hieroor lug.
Soos ek die ding verstaan het die vroumens met hom ge flirt, en toe haar selnommer op n servet geskryf en vir hom gegee.
Deur wel met enige vroumens op n rugbytoer deurmekaar te raak is n baie dom fout.
Goue Leeu View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goue Leeu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2019 at 3:15pm
Vreemd hoe die unie dit hanteer het. Dalk wag hulle vir die uitkoms van sy appél, maar tot dan moes hulle hom hanteer het as "skuldig" want dis wat die hof beslis het. Sekerlik gee hulle hom nie net 'n "slap on the wrist nie"... hy is skuldig aan 'n ernstige misdaad.
Lion4ever View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lion4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2019 at 3:26pm
Remember, the chair of the disciplinary was an independent labour consultant. The Lions have opted to follow his recommendations which include: "Corrective disciplinary action" and "compulsory ethical and management training". We do not know what the "corrective disciplinary" action entails. That could be a final warning. We don't know. The fact is that the case is now on appeal, and the GLRU is complying with the outcomes. Not much can be done, and if the Lions overstep the recommendations, they could find themselves in a messy CCMA case which will rule not on the actual case, but on whether they have followed the correct procedures or not. I once chaired a disciplinary matter where the accused was caught on camera, admitted his guilt and was dismissed. Even though we followed procedure the accused appealed, and the CCMA was prepared to entertain the case.  So the GLRU have to step very carefully in this matter.  Please note that I do not condone Joey's actions. I can only hope that this does not mess with Jacques Nienaber helping out with the defence for our remaining games.

Edited by Lion4ever - 02-May-2019 at 3:27pm
WitBoer View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitBoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2019 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Lion4ever Lion4ever wrote:

Remember, the chair of the disciplinary was an independent labour consultant. The Lions have opted to follow his recommendations which include: "Corrective disciplinary action" and "compulsory ethical and management training". We do not know what the "corrective disciplinary" action entails. That could be a final warning. We don't know. The fact is that the case is now on appeal, and the GLRU is complying with the outcomes. Not much can be done, and if the Lions overstep the recommendations, they could find themselves in a messy CCMA case which will rule not on the actual case, but on whether they have followed the correct procedures or not. I once chaired a disciplinary matter where the accused was caught on camera, admitted his guilt and was dismissed. Even though we followed procedure the accused appealed, and the CCMA was prepared to entertain the case.  So the GLRU have to step very carefully in this matter.  Please note that I do not condone Joey's actions. I can only hope that this does not mess with Jacques Nienaber helping out with the defence for our remaining games.
I hear what you are saying, however the GLRU should have rather suspended him pending the outcome of his appeal. Should his appeal have failed, disciplinary action should only then have followed.
Now the disciplinary action is complete, should his appeal in Australia fail, he will not be allowed back into Australasia and wont be able to tour with the squad from next year...
They jumped the gun and now a person who was convicted of a crime against a woman has been reinstated with a slap on the wrist... No matter how I look at it, it does not project well on the GLRU.
If they waited until the outcome of his appeal and reinstated him after his appeal is successful not many would have cared...

"Believe nothing, No matter where you read it, Or who has said it, Not even if I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own common sense" - Buddha
WitBoer View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitBoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2019 at 3:52pm
Reading the comments on the Lions Rugby Co Facebook page, it is very clear that this decision is doing the brand alot of damage... 
Have not read 1 positive comment about this outcome... This is not going to end well for the union...
AK  View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK  Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2019 at 7:23am
Hiedie is `n groot own goal. Mens kan nie sulke ernstige aantuigings duld nie. Stem dat hulle hom ten minste moes suspend....
LeeuBrul View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeuBrul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2019 at 7:38am
Stem as dit enige iemand anders was sou hy geskors gewees het tot en met na die appeal.....Leeus is besig om hulself op te hang,help nie om mr Nice guy altyd te wees nie.
Once a Lion always a lion
GoLions View Drop Down
Jong Leeu
Jong Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoLions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2019 at 6:12am
Ek het nie toegang tot die vol artikel nie

"Breier vry op seksklag
Die Leeus se voormalige verdedigingsafrigter, Joey Mongalo, is Vrydag in Sydney vrygespreek op ’n klag dat hy ’n Australiese vrou seksueel aangerand het."
valie View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2019 at 8:33am
Originally posted by GoLions GoLions wrote:

Ek het nie toegang tot die vol artikel nie

"Breier vry op seksklag
Die Leeus se voormalige verdedigingsafrigter, Joey Mongalo, is Vrydag in Sydney vrygespreek op ’n klag dat hy ’n Australiese vrou seksueel aangerand het."
So hy was toe after all nie skuldig nie.......

Attie Karate View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Attie Karate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2019 at 8:19am
Ek is bly vir sy part dat hy die hele ding nou agter die rug kan kry.
Up the Vaal!
Niela View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2019 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Attie Karate Attie Karate wrote:

Ek is bly vir sy part dat hy die hele ding nou agter die rug kan kry.

Everyone was jumping up and down when he wasn’t suspended immediately. I didn’t expect this outcome to be honest...

So he isn’t guilty of assault , but is he good enough/or ready to be a superrugby assistant coach. 

With WW in the mix I suspect that we could have to many chefs in the kitchen and Joey is the weakest link 
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2019 at 10:00am
https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/former-lions-coach-cleared-of-indecent-assault-20191223

Former Lions coach cleared of indecent assault

Former Lions defence coach Joey Mongalo has been acquitted on a charge of sexually assaulting an Australian woman.

The woman was an employee of a Sydney hotel where the Lions stayed during their Super Rugby tour of Australia in 2018.

Mongalo was convicted by a local Sydney court earlier this year and fined A$2 000 (R20 000), but decided to appeal the finding.

On Friday, the New South Wales District Court set aside Mongalo’s earlier conviction.

Mongalo told Rapport newspaper that the matter was now settled and he could return home to rebuild his life.

‘I said from the beginning that I did not commit an offence,’ he added.

‘In the same breath, to be involved in something like this, runs counter to the values ??I aspire to live every day.’

According to the Rugby Rocks website, Mongalo’s contract with the Lions was not renewed in October this year when the Johannesburg franchise confirmed Ivan van Rooyen as their new Super Rugby coach.

Mongalo was a prominent junior player and represented the Blue Bulls age group teams, playing mainly as a flyhalf.

He went on to play senior rugby for the Bulls, but was never able to cement a spot at the top level.

The Lions will open their 2020 Super Rugby campaign with a tough away clash against the Jaguares in Argentina on Saturday, February 1.

Lion4ever View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lion4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2020 at 8:43am
Unfortunately this incident cost him his career as a rugby coach.
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2020 at 8:50am
I don't know any details of the case, but I think it is important as a coach or a member of the coaching team, not to put yourself in a position where things like this can happen, and perhaps he learnt a lesson that will help him in the future. He is still young, and I am pretty sure that he will pop up somewhere as a coach again in the future. 
Lion4ever View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lion4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2020 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Transvaal Transvaal wrote:

I don't know any details of the case, but I think it is important as a coach or a member of the coaching team, not to put yourself in a position where things like this can happen, and perhaps he learnt a lesson that will help him in the future. He is still young, and I am pretty sure that he will pop up somewhere as a coach again in the future. 
I sincerely hope so. He was a decent coach at junior levels.
vdwestjo View Drop Down
Welpie
Welpie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vdwestjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2020 at 9:51am
Shows that the Lion's management made the right decision not to terminate his contract immediately after the above case was reported even though a lot of Lions supporters were so critical even suggesting on Facebook that they will never attend another game at Ellispark. It would have cost the Lions a lot of money especially after the Sydney court held in his favour.  Hope these supporters will now reconsider and also trust the Lions management more to make the right decisions. We are lucky at the Lions to have such an excellent management team which include Straeuli, Rathbone and Altman.  

Lions4life
WitBoer View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitBoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2020 at 10:59am
Originally posted by vdwestjo vdwestjo wrote:

Shows that the Lion's management made the right decision not to terminate his contract immediately after the above case was reported even though a lot of Lions supporters were so critical even suggesting on Facebook that they will never attend another game at Ellispark. It would have cost the Lions a lot of money especially after the Sydney court held in his favour.  Hope these supporters will now reconsider and also trust the Lions management more to make the right decisions. We are lucky at the Lions to have such an excellent management team which include Straeuli, Rathbone and Altman.  

I still feel that he should have been suspended until the outcome of his appeal. He was found guilty of a sexual offence by a court. He could then be reinstated when his appeal succeeded, if his appeal didn't succeed, he should then have faced disciplinary action from the union, which could have been dismissal. 

vdwestjo View Drop Down
Welpie
Welpie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vdwestjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2020 at 11:51am
The Lions management acted based on the findings of an independent labour consultant which included corrective disciplinary action. I accordingly feel the Lions management team acted correctly. If they did not follow the labour consultant's advise, Joey could have taken the Lions to the CCMA which could have resulted in the Lions having to pay a big amount to Joey.
Lions4life
Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2020 at 9:28am
Ek stem saam Witboer, toe die hof hom skuldig bevind het moes die unie hom suspend tot sy appeal afgehandel was. Maar op die einde van die dag is sy rekord as verdedigings afrigter van die super rugby span so flippen swak en genoeg rede om nie sy kontrak weer te hernu nie. 
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2020 at 9:45am
Wel die gesprek is akademies, want die Leeus het nie sy kontrak hernu aan die einde van Oktober nie. Dit het vir my gelyk asof hy die jaar (2020) gaan af vat en verder studeer
vdwestjo View Drop Down
Welpie
Welpie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vdwestjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2020 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Transvaal Transvaal wrote:

Wel die gesprek is akademies, want die Leeus het nie sy kontrak hernu aan die einde van Oktober nie. Dit het vir my gelyk asof hy die jaar (2020) gaan af vat en verder studeer

Stem Transvaal die Lions het slim gespeel!
Lions4life
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic