Forum Home Forum Home > Rugby Competitions > Super Rugby
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Vermeulen looking to make a difference for Bulls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lions next play the Ospreys in Swansea in the URC on 30 March 2024, kickoff is at 17:05

Vermeulen looking to make a difference for Bulls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vermeulen looking to make a difference for Bulls
    Posted: 11-Feb-2019 at 12:37pm
https://www.supersport.com/rugby/super-rugby/news/190211_Vermeulen_looking_to_make_a_difference_for_Bulls

Duane Vermeulen's return to South Africa comes as a major boost to the Super Rugby hopes of the Vodacom Bulls and the bulky Springbok loose forward believes he can make a major difference as they look to turn around their fortunes.

The powerful No 8 signed a two-year deal with the Pretoria franchise, who beat off bids from other South African sides, after playing at Toulon in France and then in Japan.

Vermeulen, who has started all of his 46 tests for South Africa, will be the central figure for the side, who finished bottom of the South African conference last year and are keen to turn around their fortunes, starting with their opening game against the Stormers at Loftus Versfeld on Saturday.

He is ready for the role of mentor to what is a largely young and inexperienced squad, a responsibility he will share with new hooker Schalk Brits, who spent 10 years at Saracens and is now keeping himself in the frame for a World Cup place.

"We have to take it step by step, we mustn't get ahead of ourselves. We need to start well, win our first match and then build from there," Vermeulen told reporters in the build-up to the opening weekend of the southern hemisphere competition.

"I think I can contribute to a young group at the Bulls, they're a good bunch of guys and a good group of players, but they lack experience in certain areas.

"I just want to play and contribute and I have experience from all over the world that I'd like to share with the younger guys. It's a long competition and I'd like to leave a bit of myself here at Loftus."

He cautioned his new team, whose coach John Mitchell left to join England's backroom staff last year, not to consider too many changes to the Bulls' brand of hard rugby.

"We have a big bunch of players that have played for the Springboks and there's opportunity for new guys to do that as well, but they need to show from the start that they can play the style of rugby that makes them the players they are," Vermeulen said.

"We're not going to win by playing a different brand of rugby."

Vermeulen's return is also a boost for the Springboks as they look ahead to this year's Rugby World Cup.

He missed tests last year because of his club commitments in Japan but his new contract makes the Boks top priority.

Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2019 at 2:11pm
"We're not going to win by playing a different brand of rugby."

Se wie? Net omdat jy nie weet hoe om enigiets anders as crash ball rugby te speel beteken dit nie dit is die enigste manier om te wen nie!
Transvaal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2019 at 2:13pm
Dis goed vir ons as hulle crash ball wil speel want dan gaan hulle weer nerens kom nie
TunaLion View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TunaLion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2019 at 4:26pm
Ek is regtig verbaas sy nek is sterk genoeg om daardie groot kop van hom te kan dra....
Go LIONS!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic