Forum Home Forum Home > Rugby Competitions > United Rugby Championship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Edinburgh Rugby sign centre Venter for 2020-21 sea
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lions next play Munster at Ellis Park in the URC on 27 April 2024, kickoff is at 17:00

Edinburgh Rugby sign centre Venter for 2020-21 sea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transvaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edinburgh Rugby sign centre Venter for 2020-21 sea
    Posted: 06-Mar-2020 at 1:34pm
Edinburgh Rugby have added to their squad ahead of next season with the signing of South African centre, Jordan Venter.

Venter, 17, will link-up with the capital club in December 2020 following the conclusion of the South African academic year and joins from Stellenbosch’s Paul Roos Gymnasium School.

On signing with the club, Venter, said: “I’m very humbled by the opportunity to join Edinburgh. I’m still a young man with lots to learn, so getting the chance to develop my own game overseas is the best decision for my rugby career.

“Edinburgh, as a city and as a club, has so much heritage and tradition. While the coaching staff and squad there are phenomenal.

“I’ve also got a good relationship with some of the South African players already there, so it will make for an easy transition when I make the move to Scotland.”

Head Coach Richard Cockerill, added: “Jordan is a young, athletic centre with bags of potential. We have kept a close eye on his school career and he’ll be a welcome addition to the squad next season.”

Born and raised in George, Western Cape – the same town as current Edinburgh Rugby winger Duhan van der Merwe – Venter represented South Western Districts at an early age.

In a bid to further his rugby career, Venter made the move to Stellenbosch’s Paul Roos Gymnasium where he has been enrolled in boarding school since 2016.

The centre was named in the under-16 Western Province Elite Squad before a shoulder injury derailed Venter’s bid to compete at Craven Week.

Now at under-18 level, Venter took part in the 2019 Sanix World Rugby Youth Invitational Tournament in Japan, where Paul Roos Gymnasium claimed first place, defeating St Peters College 52-5 in a one-sided final.

Venter was more recently named vice-captain of the South Africa under-18 Sevens side which won last month’s Capricorn Group Sevens Rugby Tournament in Namibia.
Leeu1975 View Drop Down
Pasgebore Leeu
Pasgebore Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeu1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2020 at 12:24pm
Plaas dat ons eie spanne sulke seuns teiken - nou is hy dalk verlore vir ons en oor i paar jaar speel hy vir die Skotte i.p.v. die Bokke.

Edited by Leeu1975 - 10-Mar-2020 at 12:25pm
Gebore Leeu-ondersteuner
Attie Karate View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Attie Karate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2020 at 4:39pm
Ek mag verkeerd wees, maar ek dink al die seuns wie sulke geleenthede kry gryp dit met ope arms aan. En ek hou dit glad nie teen hulle nie, in fact, ek wens hul die beste toe.
Up the Vaal!
WitBoer View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitBoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2020 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Attie Karate Attie Karate wrote:

Ek mag verkeerd wees, maar ek dink al die seuns wie sulke geleenthede kry gryp dit met ope arms aan. En ek hou dit glad nie teen hulle nie, in fact, ek wens hul die beste toe.

Ek stem. As hulle die kans kry moet hulle dit vat voor hulle vir die Bokke gekies word en soos Rohan vir geen ander internationale span mag speel nie.
"Believe nothing, No matter where you read it, Or who has said it, Not even if I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own common sense" - Buddha
Leeu1975 View Drop Down
Pasgebore Leeu
Pasgebore Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeu1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2020 at 7:25am
Ek stem in 'n mate saam met julle. Die seuns staan 'n kans om groot geld te verdien, om hul ondervinding/kennis te verbreed en hul talent te ontwikkel. Net jammer oor al die talent wat uit ons land vloei en teen ons kan werk in die toekoms.
Gebore Leeu-ondersteuner
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Attie Karate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2020 at 8:01am
Op 'n politiese noot: Ek glo meeste mense wie landuit is sal op die 1ste vliegtuig terug wees as kwotas, BBBEE en AA verwyder word, al is dit vir minder geld.

Ander lande is lekker vir vakansie, maar dis crap om daar te bly in vergelyking met hoe dit in SA kan/ behoort te wees.

Edited by Attie Karate - 11-Mar-2020 at 8:02am
Up the Vaal!
LeeuBrul View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeuBrul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2020 at 8:03am
Dit help ook nie dat daar n limit is op hoeveel spelers n unie mag kontrakteer.....laas jaar was daar bitter min jong spelers gekontrakteer.....
Once a Lion always a lion
PaBz0r View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaBz0r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2020 at 8:30am
Daar is mos daai toere wat die ouens doen.. dit is niks minder as n scouting storie nie en die ouens word sommer vroeg al kontrakte aangebied, met studiebeurse ens. So ek sal verseker niemand teenstaan wat so geleentheid kry nie, jy gaan dit nie hier by ons kry nie.

Edited by PaBz0r - 11-Mar-2020 at 8:31am
Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2020 at 9:17am
Vriende van my het twee seuns wat baie goed doen met krieket, en is in 'n baie goeie skool. Hulle vertel my hoe moeilik dit is vir outjies wat regtig goed is, en wat regtig daar hoort, om provinsiale spanne te maak. Die feit van die saak is daar is net soveel plek vir wit outjies in sport spanne. So ja, ek neem hulle ook gladnie kwalik dat hul oorsee waai nie. 
Scrubba View Drop Down
Pasgebore Leeu
Pasgebore Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2020 at 9:18am
Agreed regarding the Quota system AA, BBEE etc. etc. am sure it is one of the reasons these guys are leaving... couple that with unscertian politics and Eskom issues... it is hardly suprising. 
Niela View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2020 at 9:38am
I've seen the quota system been used as an excuse by many as the reason why they couldn't "make it big".

The reality is that the guys that are good enough AND work hard enough WILL make it, irrespective of the system.

The young lads, mustn't lose hope and they must keep on fighting. You cant ignore someone that knocks on the door very hard, forever. 

What I've seen is talented youngsters enjoying varsity life too much. They end up losing focus and not making it and then blame quota system.

Our superugby teams are full of talented players of all colors. 

If that boy from Afrikaans hoer seunskool , that received the best rugby coaching, nutrition and probably life coaching should work a little harder to make it vs the kid that can only eat a proper meal every 2nd day. Then I am okay with that.

Rugby is about character and resilience. Pushing yourself to the mental and physical limits. When a challenge comes up , you must have the strength to work trough that. 

At the same token, if someone goes offshore to develop and if playing for SA and the boks just isn't that important , then that's fine as well. Let them go and I wish them well. I am proud of a guy like CJ stander, even If he plays for Ireland.

Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2020 at 10:29am
Niela, I'm going to disagree with several of your statements. 

"The reality is that the guys that are good enough AND work hard enough WILL make it, irrespective of the system. The young lads, mustn't lose hope and they must keep on fighting. You cant ignore someone that knocks on the door very hard, forever."

Yes, obviously everyone must work hard and with perseverance will prevail. But why must someone that deserves to be in a team waste a number of his best years, sitting in line behind someone less deserving? Maybe deserving isn't the right word, rather "better". You have player A and player B. Player A is better than player B, but is not chosen because of his skin colour. Now he has to "stick it out" for several years hoping he'd one day get a chance?

"If that boy from Afrikaans hoer seunskool , that received the best rugby coaching, nutrition and probably life coaching should work a little harder to make it vs the kid that can only eat a proper meal every 2nd day. Then I am okay with that." 

I have a serious problem with this statement. You are generalizing here and insinuating that all afrikaans kids are privileged and getting the best coaching money can buy, and the 2nd kid only eating every 2nd day is not white I presume? There are MANY poor white, afrikaans people in this country. Not all white kids that make it into professional sports teams were privileged, and not all blacks were disadvantaged. In fact, I'd bet my house (that I don't even have) that most of today's black sportsmen went to elite schools. Kagiso Rabada comes to mind first, both his parents are Dr's. 

My point is, white kids have to work just as hard, if not harder, to make it into professional sport in SA. They don't walk into teams just because they're the right skin colour.. 

Transvaal, jammer as ons politiek praat, delete maar as jy dink dis onvanpas op die forum

WitBoer View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitBoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2020 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Niela Niela wrote:

I've seen the quota system been used as an excuse by many as the reason why they couldn't "make it big".

The reality is that the guys that are good enough AND work hard enough WILL make it, irrespective of the system.

Tell that to a player like Jaco Kriel, who has only played 11 tests of which most was from the bench, despite being the best player in his position for probably 5 years, while Kolisi has played 50 despite being in the team most of the time while performing poorly.
Jaco would have played more than 50 tests had he been in any other country in the world and he would have been a legend in most... 

If that boy from Afrikaans hoer seunskool , that received the best rugby coaching, nutrition and probably life coaching should work a little harder to make it vs the kid that can only eat a proper meal every 2nd day. Then I am okay with that.

So you claim every white kid is privileged and therefor should be penalized?
I am sorry, I will never be okay with racism whether it is black or white people that gets discriminated against because of the colour of their skin...

"Believe nothing, No matter where you read it, Or who has said it, Not even if I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own common sense" - Buddha
Niela View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2020 at 12:53pm
Generally speaking a kid that goes to affies is probably more privileged than most (Black or white), I went to EG Jansen, I grew up in Boksburg and we were a very middle class family with no money for any luxuries or trying to make me a better rugby player. 

In the end my best effort was playing UJ 2nd XV and representing the lions in 7's. I had to juggle working and studying and playing rugby. The rich kids didn't have that problem and many of them had the best supplements, personal trainers (and Steriods).

It is what it is, that is life.

I played hooker behind a guy like Edgar Maratule,  He earned a huge salary for playing rugby , he was in fact a privileged black player vs my situation. But , If I had to honestly look at it, I should have worked harder and I shouldn't have blamed the system or anyone else for me not making it. 

In my first post I said "The reality is that the guys that are good enough AND work hard enough WILL make it, irrespective of the system"

There is a minimum benchmark of skill/ability ,but that accounts probbaly for 20%.  The 80% is hard work and trumps everything else. If your attitude is right ,eventually you will get the opportunity , when that happens you must take it. The most talented players that also work hard, like your Dan Carters of the world, they become greats.

Sitting back and blaming quotas or limited opportunity is just not the answer, there are many people out there with much bigger problems. 

Niela View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2020 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by WitBoer WitBoer wrote:

Tell that to a player like Jaco Kriel, who has only played 11 tests of which most was from the bench, despite being the best player in his position for probably 5 years, while Kolisi has played 50 despite being in the team most of the time while performing poorly.
Jaco would have played more than 50 tests had he been in any other country in the world and he would have been a legend in most... 

Jaco Kriel did make it big. I love Jaco, I think he is brilljant. 50 tests, If I was the bok coach, definitely. But saying he didn't make it because he is white, is just not true. People get injured , or you swap positions ect, there are many opportunities to make the side. I think HM thought he was too small and AC, gave him a chance. After that he got injured. 

So you claim every white kid is privileged and therefor should be penalized?
I am sorry, I will never be okay with racism whether it is black or white people that gets discriminated against because of the colour of their skin...

Nope, I definitely do not claim that every white kid is privileged and that they should therefore be penalized. I am pointing out that life isn't that fair. And that If that kid from Affies, can stand up against that adversity , then good on him. that is resilience and that is the core value of the springbok player must have. 

Again, that guy might not make the craven week because of quotas, but keep your head, keep on working, the opportunity will come. 

Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2020 at 1:27pm
"the opportunity will come." 

From overseas yes, not in SA.

Niela, the fact of the matter is sport teams in SA are picked not based purely on merit, but on skin colour as well. And that is a fact that no-one can dispute, and it is wrong and racist. 
Niela View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2020 at 1:47pm
"Niela, the fact of the matter is sport teams in SA are picked not based purely on merit, but on skin colour as well. And that is a fact that no-one can dispute," Yes that is true

"and it is wrong and racist"  haha, that is a long debate. I don't have the answers there. We have made some great progress and in my mind quotas on senior provincial and national level is no longer required and actually a bit of an insult towards a player of color (Think- Am, Kolbe, Jantjies ect). 

On junior level we have some development to do. The better we develop youngsters , the better they will be when they do make it into S15.

Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2020 at 2:35pm
You don't think picking player A over player B just because of his skin colour is wrong?

Disadvantaged player development (any colour!) must happen from the bottom up, not the top down. Help schools in poor and rural areas with facilities, coaching and whatever. That way you give kids (any colour!) that wouldn't normally have an option of playing rugby the opportunity to play the game. That's how it should be done
Niela View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2020 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Leeubok Leeubok wrote:

You don't think picking player A over player B just because of his skin colour is wrong?

Disadvantaged player development (any colour!) must happen from the bottom up, not the top down. Help schools in poor and rural areas with facilities, coaching and whatever. That way you give kids (any colour!) that wouldn't normally have an option of playing rugby the opportunity to play the game. That's how it should be done

Yes, I agree 100%. We must develop from grass roots up and give as much kids as possible a fair shot. 

On your other point "You don't think picking player A over player B just because of his skin colour is wrong?"

It is a very complex issue.

The overwhelming majority of poor people are still non whites. (I am not saying white people are not poor, there are many poor white people as well).

In my view, I would rather give more youngsters a go at lower levels and give them a chance in order to pick only on merit at senior level VS picking on merit at lower levels, then having under represented teams and then being forced to pick the wrong players on S15 and springbok level.

If that white kid didn't make the Lions u/16 side its not the end of the world. Keep on working, keep on pushing , until you cannot be ignored by any coach. 

Compare that to us not having a good enough talent pool to choose from and we get thrashed by other sides week in week out. Rugby will lose its appeal and become redundant. 

Again, complex issue. I don't think there is a right or wrong here. 

Leeubok View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeubok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2020 at 3:18pm
On your other point "You don't think picking player A over player B just because of his skin colour is wrong?"

It is a very complex issue."

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one then Niela. Otherwise we'll argue about/debate this until the cows come home
Niela View Drop Down
Ervare Leeu
Ervare Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2020 at 3:25pm
"Otherwise we'll argue about/debate this until the cows come home" - I agree, lets agree to disagree. 

valie View Drop Down
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2020 at 3:31pm
I Agree with both of you. Selection based on skin colour is wrong for me, but Niela's argument also makes sense. 
Koning Leeu
Koning Leeu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Attie Karate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2020 at 3:34pm
Vir skole net om ordentlik te funksioneer en om kinders net te leer is deesdae amper onmoontlik. Daar is verskeie redes daarvoor, maar een van die grootstes is dat ouers nie hul kinders ordentlik grootmaak nie en dat die juffrou heeldag moet staan en met kinders raas en kinders dissiplineer eerder as om hulle te leer. Dus, is rugby ontwikkeling redelik laag op alle skole se prioriteitlys, en dis reg so.

Die ontwikkeling van rugby le nie net by skole nie. Dis hoofliks die staat en SA Rugby se verantwoordelikheid en die maklikste manier vir hul om dit te doen is deur klubs. Waar dit nie saakmaak of jou pa die skool 1ste span se sakke geborg het nie. Daar is almal saam, maak nie saak van jou skool, ras, inkomstegroep nie. Maar die klubs se vootbestaan is net so erg in gedrang en nog heelwat gaan toemaak in die volgende paar jaar.
Up the Vaal!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic